Installing and configuring Windows Server 2012
This five-day course provides the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows Server 2012 Infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment.
The course is part one of a series of three courses which provide the skills and knowledge necessary to implement a core Windows® Server 2012 infrastructure in an existing enterprise environment. The three courses in total collectively cover implementing, managing, maintaining and provisioning services and infrastructure in a Windows Server 2012 environment. While there is some cross-over in skillset and tasks across the courses, this course primarily covers the initial implementation and configuration of those core services, such as Active Directory Domain Services, networking services and initial Hyper-V configuration.
|Cost||£999 (plus VAT)|
This course is not bookable online. Please contact us to express your interest in this course
This course is delivered by QA. QA have training centres nationwide and offer this course in a number of locations around the UK.
To find out available dates and venues for this training course, please email us at email@example.com or contact us by phone on 01235 826125.
This course is intended for IT professionals who have good Windows operating system knowledge and experience, and want to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to implement the core infrastructure services in an existing Windows Server 2012 environment. Although students would benefit from having some previous Windows Server experience, they must have good hands-on Windows client experience with Windows Vista®, Windows 7, or Windows 8.
Before attending this course, students must have:
- a good understanding of networking fundamentals.
- an understanding of and experience configuring security and administration tasks in an enterprise environment.
- experience supporting or configuring Microsoft® Windows clients.
Delegates will learn how to:
- install and configure Windows Server 2012.
- understand Active Directory Domain Services.
- manage Active Directory Domain Services Objects.
- automate Active Directory Domain Services Administration.
- implement TCP/IPv4.
- implement DHCP.
- implement DNS.
- implement IPv6.
- implement Local Storage.
- implement File and Print Services.
- implement Group Policy.
- secure Windows servers by Using Group Policy Objects.
- implement server virtualisation with Hyper-V.
Module 1: Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012
This module introduces the new Windows Server 2012 administrative interface. This module covers the different roles and features that are available with the Windows Server 2012 operating system. It also discusses the various installation options from which you can choose when deploying Windows Server 2012.
- Windows Server 2012 Overview
- Overview of Windows Server 2012 management
- Installing Windows Server 2012
- Post-installation configuration of Windows Server 2012
- Introduction to Windows PowerShell®
Lab : Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012
- Deploying Windows Server 2012
- Configuring Windows Server 2012 Core
- Managing servers
- Using Windows PowerShell to manage servers
Module 2: Introduction to Active Directory Domain Services
This module introduces Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS) in Windows Server 2012. It covers general ADDS infrastructure including forests, trees, schema, Global Catalog, Operations Masters, as well as the Installation and configuration of domain controllers.
- Overview of Active Directory Domain Services
- Overview of domain controllers
- Installing a domain controller
Lab : Installing domain controllers
- Installing a domain controller
- Installing a domain controller by using IFM
Module 3: Managing Active Directory Domain Services Objects
This module covers configuring Active Directory Objects such as users, groups and computers. It also covers functionality of Active Directory administrative tools and the configuration of user profiles. It also covers delegating permissions to perform ADDS administration.
- Managing user accounts
- Managing groups
- Managing computer accounts
- Delegating administration
Lab : Managing Active Directory Domain Services Objects
- Delegating administration for a Branch Office
- Creating and configuring user accounts in ADDS
- Creating and configuring groups in ADDS
- Managing computer objects in ADDS
Module 4: Automating Active Directory Domain Services administration
This module covers using command-line tools to configure and administer Active Directory Domain Services. It introduces Windows PowerShell and Active Directory Cmdlets to perform bulk administrative operations.
- Using command-line tools for administration
- Using Windows PowerShell for administration
- Performing bulk operations with Windows PowerShell
Lab : Automating ADDS administration by using Windows PowerShell
- Creating user accounts and groups by using Windows PowerShell
- Using Windows PowerShell to create user accounts in bulk
- Using Windows PowerShell to modify user accounts in bulk
Module 5: Implementing IPv4
This module covers IPv4 addressing. It details the various IPv4 components, covers subnetting and supernetting as well as details on general troubleshooting and configuring IPv4 addresses.
- Overview of TCP/IP
- Understanding IPv4 addressing
- Subnetting and supernetting
- Configuring and troubleshooting IPv4
Lab : Implementing IPv4
- Identifying appropriate subnets
- Troubleshooting IPv4
Module 6: Implementing DHCP
This module covers the installation and configuration of DHCP as well as managing a DHCP database. It also covers security and monitoring of DHCP, including auditing and logging.
- Installing a DHCP server
- Configuring DHCP scopes
- Managing a DHCP satabase
- Securing and monitoring DHCP
Lab : Implementing DHCP
- Implementing DHCP
- Implementing DHCP Relay
Module 7: Implementing DNS
This module covers name resolution for Windows Server and clients. It details the installation of a DNS server and configuring Active Directory Integrated DNS zones.
- Name resolution for Windows client and servers
- Installing and managing a DNS server
- Configuring Active Directory Integrated DNS Zones
Lab : Implementing DNS
- Installing and configuring DNS
- Creating host records in DNS
- Managing the DNS Server Cache
Module 8: Implementing IPv6
This module covers understanding and implementing IPv6 addressing. It covers configuration and troubleshooting as well as co-existence with IPv4 using transition technologies.
- Overview of IPv6
- IPv6 addressing
- Coexistence with IPv6
- IPv6 transition technologies
Lab : Implementing IPv6
- Configuring an IPv6 network
- Configuring an ISATAP router
Module 9: Implementing local storage
This module covers the storage configuration options for Windows server 2012, including managing disks and volumes and implementing file systems. It also covers creating and managing storage pools.
- Overview of storage
- Managing disks and volumes
- Implementing storage pools
Lab : Implementing local storage
- Installing and configuring a new disk
- Resizing volumes
- Configuring a storage pool
- Configuring a Redundant Storage Space
Module 10: Implementing file and print services
This module covers securing files, folders and network file shares, in addition to using shadow copies to protect network file shares. It also covers configuring network printing and creating a printer pool.
- Securing files and folders
- Protecting file shares with shadow copies
- Configuring network printing
Lab : Implementing file and print services
- Creating and configuring a file share
- Configuring volume shadow copy
- Creating and configuring a printer pool
Module 11: Implementing Group Policy
This module will cover creating and managing Group Policy objects as well as how to configure Group Policy processing. It will also cover Implementing a central store for administrative templates.
- Overview of Group Policy
- Group Policy processing
- Implementing a central store for administrative templates
Lab : Implementing Group Policy
- Configuring a central store
- Creating GPOs
Module 12: Securing Windows servers by using Group Policy Objects
This module covers increasing security on Windows servers by using Group Policy Objects. Configuring security settings via group policy.
- Windows security overview
- Security settings
- Restricting software
- Configuring Windows Firewall with advanced security
Lab : Lab A: Increasing security for server resources
- Using Group Policy to secure member servers
- Auditing file system access
- Auditing domain logons
Lab : Lab B: Configuring AppLocker and Windows Firewall
- Configuring AppLocker policies
- Configuring Windows Firewall
Module 13: Implementing Server virtualisation with Hyper-V
This module covers installing and configuring Hyper-V virtual machines as well as understanding and describing Microsoft virtualisation technologies. It also covers configuring virtual storage and virtual networks.
- Overview of virtualisation technologies
- Implementing Hyper-V
- Managing virtual machine storage
- Managing virtual networks
Lab : Implementing server virtualisation with Hyper-V
- Installing the Hyper-V Server Role
- Configuring virtual networking
- Creating and configuring a virtual machine
- Using virtual machine snapshots